Having a certain amount of automobile insurance is not only a legal requirement for all Florida drivers; it is a safety net that is absolutely critical for anyone who drives a vehicle. Here we will take a look at the various types and features of auto insurance, including the types of insurance that are compulsory in this state.
Liability Auto Insurance
In the state of Florida, liability insurance is broken down into two categories, both of which are mandatory for all drivers:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Property Damage Coverage (PD)
Personal Injury Protection and Property Damage Coverage are the types of insurance that ensure you can adequately pay for any damage caused to another vehicle during an accident and for any injuries sustained by the driver and/or passengers of that vehicle. While liability requirements vary from state to state, most experts recommend a policy which covers $50,000 for the first injury, $100,000 for additional injuries and $25,000 in property damage. These types of coverage can also protect you financially against any legal and/or medical expenses that may arise following an accident.
Nobody anticipates that an accident will happen, but having the proper amount of liability insurance can help you sleep a little easier at night knowing you are covered should the unfortunate occur.
Other Types of Auto Insurance to Consider
While liability insurance (PIP and PD coverage) will help pay the expenses incurred by other drivers in an accident, there are several types of insurance designed to protect you and other passengers that may be riding in your vehicle. Some of these include:
- Collision Insurance.Collision Insurance covers your personal vehicle in the event of an accident. This type of insurance is mandatory for drivers who finance their vehicles.
- Bodily Injury. Bodily Injury protection covers injuries incurred by others—injuries caused by you while operating a motor vehicle.
- Uninsured Motorist.This crucial category of insurance coverage is intended to cover your medical expenses, arising from an injury sustained during a collision with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Note: this type of coverage is secondary to personal injury protection coverage.
- Comprehensive. Like Collision Insurance, Comprehensive Insurance is almost always required for drivers who are financing their vehicle. This category of coverage is designed to protect your vehicle from any type of loss resulting from incidents other than a collision—incidents such as theft or vandalism.
- Rental and Towing.Like the name suggests, Rental and Towing Insurance will provide the necessary funds for towing your vehicle after an accident or breakdown, and will help pay for a rental car while your personal vehicle is being repaired.
The state of Florida, with its year-round sunshine and nearby coastline, offers countless opportunities for outdoor fun and recreation, and the Dewey Insurance Agency has just the right policies to help you enjoy all of these opportunities worry-free. We currently offer coverage for all of the following:
- Recreational Vehicles (RVs)
- Jet ski/personal water craft
By insuring all of the “toys” you’ve worked so hard to accumulate, you can take full advantage of your free time without fretting about theft, damage and liability issues.
9050 Pines Blvd #340
Pembroke Pines, FL 33024